Saturday, November 27, 2021

SHE’S A MOONSHINE GAL AND I LOVE HER STILL: THE JAMES COLE STRING BAND SWINGS “I GOT A GAL” TIL THE WALLS FALL DOWN.


 

Whereas some superstars date many ladies, most of the mortal gal-seeking universe knows that, once you’ve got yourself a gal, you ought to assemble the ensemble and set everybody to dancing. The James Cole String Band thought so, ‘round about 1928. Behold the keen roof-raising principles of “I Got A Gal,” which emphasize the piercing fiddle and capering rhythm.

The James Cole String Band was likely an African American group. Its musicians may have hailed from Indianapolis. Cole, the bandleader and fiddler, may have recorded additional records in the 1930s, yet there could have been a different James Cole by that point. Not much can be said with certainty about the ensemble, except that “I Got A Gal” rattles the windows.

Our Musicology Department has been working overtime on the particulars, and we’re proud to present lyrics, below, followed by discographic information.

We love the pun “She’s a moonshine gal and I love her still.” Lines like that — as well as “I turned out and told turn in” — could represent square dance banter or, you know, some early century inn-you-end-dough. The gal is either “mighty thin” or “big and fat” but either way she lives on the hill in her bathing suit. Of course, and thankfully, silliness prevails. (That, or a touch of the corn liquor.)

Do we think you should play this song on high volume, grab your sweetie pie, and jump around? Why, yes, we do!

 
I Got A Gal
James Cole String Band

[1]

I got a gal she’s mighty thin,
I turned out and told ‘turn in.’
I got a gal she’s mighty cute,
I saw her in a bathing suit.

[2]

I got a gal she lives on the hill,
She’s a moonshine gal and I love her still.
I got a gal she lives in town,
Going to see if I can run her down.

[3]

I got a gal she wastes her time,
I ain’t seen her for a long, long time.
I got a gal she’s big and fat,
But I can’t tell just where she’s at.
 

likely personnel / recording data
James Cole, fiddle; Tommie Bradley, guitar; Eddie Dimmitt, mandolin; unknown, string bass; unknown, vocal. Vocalion 5226 b/w “Bill Cheatem.” Recorded on June 22 or June 25, 1928, in Indianapolis, Indiana. 

sources of information
DAHR (discography) page for “I Got A Gal”
DAHR (discography) page for James Cole String Band
Document Records page for James Cole / Tommie Bradley compilation
Allen Lowe. Turn Me Loose White Man. Constant Sorrow Press, 2020
Diane Pecknold. Hidden in the Mix: The African American Presence in Country Music. Duke University Press, 2013


4 comments:

tpw said...

Great stuff. They don't "sound" African-American. What is the evidence that they are?

DAN / DANIEL GUTSTEIN said...

TPW, Good Sir, thanks for the comment. Scholarship by Allen Lowe and Diane Pecknold (books are listed at the end of the article) suggest that the group is African American. At the same time, the writers admit to some uncertainty. I have no special insights myself, except to say that repertoire and "sounds" were shared in surprising ways, in that era. I found myself thinking that this band and the one led by Peg Leg Howell (earlier post) had similarities, and both were Black string bands. But in any event, yes, it's not certain who James Cole really was, in the end. ----- b.a.

tpw said...

It's sad and amazing that such recent history could be so shrouded in mystery.

DAN / DANIEL GUTSTEIN said...

Indeed, and it's why we need to keep looking backward, so we don't forget, and so we can preserve as much as possible. BA